Disaster Response and Grants Management
HGI’s success in managing a myriad of sub-contractors, efficiently marshaling resources, and then appropriately triaging each crisis, makes us the ‘go to’ experts when catastrophes occur.
We have a unique perspective with deep experience in housing, hazard mitigation, and multi-family CDBG-DR programs. We have performed startup, takeover, operational, and closeout duties.
We have served a variety of roles in the largest housing compensation program in U.S. history: The Louisiana Road Home/Homeowner Assistance Program in response to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
We oversaw disaster recovery programs for Hurricanes Ivan and Gustav. We helped develop and administer the largest reconstruction program in U.S. history: Renew Jersey Stronger in response to Superstorm Sandy. For these events alone, our team managed/processed over $12 billion in grant disbursements and 1.6 million claims & inspections, property appraisals, call center calls, transitions, property/home evaluations, and appeals. We have managed over $20 million in benefits for the Texas Property Casualty Insurance Guaranty Association.
HGI Disaster Response & Long-term Recovery Management Services
- Accounting & Internal Controls
- Appraisals and Valuation of Property
- Audit Support Services
- Anti-Fraud Waste & Abuse (AFWA)
- Case Management
- Closing & Disbursement of Funds
- Construction Monitoring Services
- Damage Assessments
- Disaster Housing Operations
- Environmental Damage Assessment & Documentation
- Long-term Compliance and Monitoring
- Public Relations, Outreach, & Strategic Communications
- Program Implementation, Administration, & Closeout
- Quality Assurance/Quality Control
PAST PERFORMANCE EXAMPLES
Restore Louisiana (ReLA) Program
HGI is providing a solution that offers program applicants a buyout and housing incentive where the homeowner sells the damaged property to the State or its designee in exchange for the appraised value of the property and an additional housing incentive.
The Scope of Work for Restore Louisiana’s Program Management Services and Construction Management Services contains six main tasks:
- Continuing Operations of Restore Program
- Administer the Restore Program
- Close-out the Restore Program
- Building/Construction Management
- Interim Progress Inspections
- Final Progress Inspections
Highlights and Best Practices
- $40,000,000.00 contract for Program Manager for Restore Louisiana
- Include 6,000 residents and their homes for reconstruction or rehabilitation
- HGI pioneered CDBG-DR Construction Management Services in Louisiana.
- HGI designed and provided comprehensive Construction Management Services for multiple Unmet Needs Programs in Louisiana from 2014-2018, and these efforts are the foundation for the Construction Management Services for the Restore Program.
State of Louisiana
2019 to 2022
Homeowner Assistance Program & Hazard Mitigation Grant Program
In August and September 2005, Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, destroying more than 200,000 homes, 18,000 businesses, and caused approximately $32 billion in losses. As a result of these disasters, the Homeowner Assistance Program (HAP), under the direction of the Louisiana Division of Administration’s Office of Community Development, Disaster Recovery Unit (OCD-DRU), was tasked to oversee one of the largest single housing recovery programs in U.S. history.
In March 2009, HGI was selected as the Prime contractor for HAP. HGI took over responsibilities of the previous Louisiana Road Home Program during a very tenuous time. HGI has refined relations and processes to provide exemplary service for the past eight years as the prime contractor on this program. HGI has enjoyed a very strong working relationship with the State and have been rewarded with several contract extensions as new program requirements such as AACG, IMM, Unmet Needs, and Compliance and Monitoring changes have arisen. HGI managed home rebuilds, home buyouts, mitigation cases, and compliance monitoring.
HGI was responsible for successfully transitioning into the prime contractor role, processing all remaining open applications, disbursing grant award funds to qualified applicants, and closing all applications and associated activities, to include verification of all final statuses.
Highlights and Best Practices
- Assumed operational control within 20 days of transition
- Disbursed approximately $950 million to over 41,000 applicants across a variety of funding programs
- Processed over 95,000 files for Program Compliance
- Fielded over 486,000 calls and addressed over 2,200 appeals
- Handled 2,500+ records requests
State of Louisiana
2009 to 2018
The Hammerman & Gainer family of companies has provided sustainable solutions for a changing world for over 90 years.
Kenner, LA 70062
New Orleans, LA 70114
Carson, CA 90746
Chicago, IL 60642
Pinellas Park, FL 33781
We Deliver Services You Can Depend On
Inquire about our services
Fill out the form below to let us know how we can help you find a solution that exceeds your needs.